LAMP is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to enhance the quality of life in society decreasing linguistic and cultural barriers for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) and the deaf and Hard of Hearing Individual (HOH) seeking healthcare, legal, education and support services.
LAMP is a language interpreting and translation agency based in St. Louis with a branch in Kansas City and Springfield, MO, along with additional operations throughout Missouri and Illinois. We provide interpreting services to hospitals, clinics, legal, business and support service environments. We are currently looking for professional interpreters to work as independent contractors in Missouri and Illinois.
We are seeking to contract with interpreters who have at least 1 year of experience of medical interpretation in St. Louis, MO.
Rates vary based on contract and experience. Highly credentialed interpreters can negotiate other rates.
An Independent Contractor Interpreter is responsible for facilitating interpretation sessions in a professional, focused manner and utilizing the necessary equipment to provide accurate and complete interpretation. Interpreters must possess and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency, and professionalism in interpreting. Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed during an interpretation session, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fluency in target language and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
- Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with Limited English Proficiency speakers.
- Knowledge of industry-specific terminology, referencing glossaries and training materials, including scripts provided by our clients.
- Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to concentrate and to stay detached from the conversation, remaining neutral and objective at all times and following the client's instructions closely.
- Facilitate many kinds of conversations – emergencies, medical procedures, legal situations.
- Demonstrate full compliance with LAMP standards and policies and the Code of Ethics.
- Maintain professional standards by attending continuing education training to maintain the highest standards for the delivery of service.
- Contractors must be available during regular business hours when most medical and community facilities are open, but as an independent contractor, you may select your own hours based on your schedule.
- Turn in client worksheets within 24 hours of appointment.
- Ability to read, write and speak the target language at a native level fluency.
- Proficient in both English and the target language vocabularies typically used in formal, consultative, and casual modes of communication.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.
- Exude extreme professionalism through appearance, attitude, punctuality, and posture.
- At least a high school education, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Be able to work in an environment that is fast-paced, dynamic, highly regulated, and customer service focused.
- Eligibility to work for any U.S. employer.
- Work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation preferred.
- Professional certification and training is a plus.
- Experience in relevant areas other than interpretation (e.g. healthcare, legal) is a plus.
- Willing to do screening including TB test, drug test, and FBI background check.
- Complete Immunization Records.
- Will need reliable transportation.
- As an Independent Contractor Interpreter, you will not be an employee of LAMP. Rather you will function as a vendor, providing language interpretation services on an IRS Form 1099 basis.
- Company-paid professional interpreter training.
- Opportunities for advancement and professional growth.
- The hiring process will include written and audio language assessments.
LAMP is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Job Type: Contract